I am an assistant professor at the Department of Physics and Astronomy of the University of Alabama. My research interests lie in high-energy neutrino, gamma-ray, and cosmic-ray astrophysics, and the development of new astroparticle physics instrumentation.
I am a member of the IceCube, VERITAS and CTA Collaborations and also work with data from a number of ground- and space-based telescopes (in particular Fermi, Swift, and NuSTAR).
Ph.D. (Physics) - University of Wisconsin-Madison (2013)
M.A. (Physics) - University of Wisconsin-Madison (2011)
B.S. (Engineering) - Universidad Tecnológica Nacional, Argentina (2009)
Postdoc positions available
Two postdoctoral positions on neutrino and gamma-ray astrophysics with IceCube and VERITAS/CTA.
Details coming soon, please contact me with questions.
Details coming soon, please contact me with questions.
Undergraduate research positions available
See here for contact information.
Recent and selected publications
- "Multi-Epoch Modeling of TXS 0506+056 and Implications for Long-Term High-Energy Neutrino Emission", M. Petropoulou et al. ApJ 891 (2020) 115, DOI: 10.3847/1538-4357/ab76d0, arXiv/1911.04010.
- “Multimessenger observations of a flaring blazar coincident with high-energy neutrino IceCube-170922A,” The IceCube, Fermi-LAT, MAGIC, AGILE, ASAS-SN, HAWC, H.E.S.S, INTEGRAL, Kanata, Kiso, Kapteyn, Liverpool telescope, Subaru, Swift/NuSTAR, VERITAS , and VLA/17B-403 teams, Science 361, eaat1378 (2018). DOI:10.1126/science.aat1378. See paper here. Contributing author for IceCube, corresponding author for VERITAS.
- “Neutrino emission from the direction of the blazar TXS 0506+056 prior to the IceCube-170922A alert,” IceCube Collaboration: M.G. Aartsen et al. Science 361, 147-151 (2018). DOI:10.1126/science.aat2890. See paper here.
- “VERITAS Observations of the BL Lac Object TXS 0506+056,” VERITAS Collaboration: Abeysekara et al. ApJL (2018), DOI:10.3847/2041-8213/aad053. Preprint: arXiv/1807.04607. Corresponding author.
- “A Multimessenger Picture of the Flaring Blazar TXS 0506+056: Implications for High-Energy Neutrino Emission and Cosmic Ray Acceleration,” A. Keivani et al., ApJ (2018) 864, 1. Preprint: arXiv/1807.04537.
- "Strategies for the Follow-up of Gravitational Wave Transients with the Cherenkov Telescope Array". I. Bartos et al. MNRAS (2018) DOI: 10.1093/mnras/sty602, Preprint: arXiv/1802.00446
- "Multi-messenger Observations of a Binary Neutron Star Merger", LIGO/Virgo and multiwavelength/multimessenger partners. ApJL, 848:L12 (2017), DOI: 10.3847/2041-8213/aa91c9. Preprint: arXiv/1710.05833
- "The Dawn of Multi-Messenger Astronomy", M. Santander, review article in "Neutrino Astronomy- Current status, future prospects" Eds. T. Gaisser & A. Karle (World Scientific) arXiv/1606.09335.
- Full InSPIRE profile.
In the news
- UA News: UA Assists in Detection of Crab Nebula Using Innovative Telescope
- Physics World: Neutrinos, the only palpable evidence of physics beyond the standard model.
- CNN: 'Ghost particle' found in Antarctica provides astronomy breakthrough
- Popular Science: We may finally know where the 'ghost particles' that surround us come from
- USA Today: Ghost particles from outer space: Scientists discover distant source of neutrinos
- Business Insider: A ghostly particle detected in Antarctica has led astronomers to a super-massive spinning black hole called a 'blazar'
- Phys.org: VERITAS supplies critical piece to neutrino discovery puzzle
- La Voz de Galicia (España): La fuente de partículas fantasma en el cosmos lejano, al descubierto
- El Espectador (Colombia): Descubrimiento histórico de una fuente de ‘partículas fantasma’ de alta energía
- NYTimes: Llegó a Antártida desde un agujero negro: el origen de los rayos cósmicos
Service and memberships
- APS, AAS and IAU member.
- Member of the IceCube Realtime Oversight Committee.
- Chair of the VERITAS Astroparticle, Transient, Optical and Multimessenger science working group.
- Executive committee member of the NASA Physics of the Cosmos Program Analysis Group and co-chair of the Cosmic Ray Science Interest Group.
- Member of the Fermi Users Group.
- Past reviewer in NASA GI panels.
- Referee for ApJ, ApJL.
Recent and upcoming talks and travel
- (Invited public talk) Capturing the highest-energy light from the universe - Winternitz Conference, UA CHC
- (Invited) Recent results in high-energy neutrino astrophysics with IceCube - Neutrino 2020 Conference (plenary talk).
- (Invited) The highest-energy particles in the universe - Nevis Labs Summer Colloquium Series (Columbia University)
- (Invited) 43rd COSPAR General Assembly, Sydney, Australia (Aug 15-22)
- VERITAS observing shift, Whipple Observatory, AZ (May 26-30)
- IceCube Collaboration meeting, Brussels, Belgium (May 9-15)
- Fermi Symposium 2020, Johannesburg, South Africa (Mar 29 - Apr 3)
- VERITAS Collaboration meeting, Tucson, AZ (Jan 12-17)
- (Invited) CosNuMM2019, TD Lee Institute, Shanghai, China (Nov 26 - Nov 30)
- Fermi Users Group meeting- NASA Goddard (Oct 3)
- (Invited) CEA Saclay, France (Sep 21 - Sep 24)
- IceCube Collaboration Meeting, Chiba, Japan (Sep 15 - Sep 21)
- ICRC 2019 - Madison, WI (Jul 24 - Aug 1)
- pSCT/CTA meeting - Madison, WI (Jul 23 - Jul 24)
- Multimessenger Diversity Network meeting - Madison, WI (Jul 22 - Jul 24)
- IceCube Collaboration Meeting, Madison, WI (Apr 29- May 4)
- (Invited) LHAASO Scientific Observation and Multimessenger Astronomy Workshop - (Apr 22-28) Chengdu, China
- (Invited) APS April meeting - Unveiling the high-energy neutrino sky - Kavli plenary keynote speaker - (Apr 13-16). Chair of the NASA PhysPAG/CR-SIG minisymposium.
- (Co-organizer) IceCube Masterclass 2019 (UA - Mar 11, 2019)
- (Invited) AAS HEAD Meeting - "Nature's accelerators and neutrino sources" (Monterey, CA Mar 17-21)
- NSF Multimessenger@INCLUDES workshop (Madison, WI - Mar 7-9)
- (Co-organizer) CUWiP Alabama 2019 (UA, Jan 18-19)
- VERITAS Collaboration meeting and pSCT inauguration, Tucson, AZ (Jan 13-18, 2018)
- (Invited) University of South Alabama, Depth of Physics Colloquium (Dec 6th, 2018)
- (Invited) Columbia University, Multimessenger astrophysics workshop (Dec 1st, 2018)
- (Invited) UCLA, Dept. of Physics Colloquium, (Nov 15, 2018)
- (Invited) University of Chicago, Physics Colloquium, (Nov 1, 2018)
- (Invited) University of Florida, Theoretical astrophysics seminar, (Oct 17, 2018)
- IceCube Collaboration Meeting, Stockholm, Sweden (Sept 22-28, 2018)
- (Invited) COSPAR 2018 - Results from the multi-messenger search for astrophysical sources of high-energy neutrinos (July 17, 2018) Pasadena, CA
- (Invited) UTN San Rafael, Explorando el Universo Extremo, San Rafael, Argentina
- (Invited) NASA Fermi Summer School 2018, Lectures on IACT gamma-ray astronomy and neutrino astronomy, (May 28 - Jun 8, 2018) Lewes, DE
- IceCube Spring 2018 Collaboration meeting, Georgia Tech, (May 5-12, 2018), Atlanta, GA
- VERITAS ESAC meeting, Tucson, AZ (Apr 2018)
- (Invited) MIT LIGO Town Hall meeting, Cambridge, MA (Mar 2018)
- (Invited) NASA NSSTC Space Science Seminar, Multi-Messenger Searches for the Sources of High-Energy Astrophysical Neutrinos (Mar 12, 2018) Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL
- VERITAS Winter 2018 Collaboration Meeting, Georgia Tech (Jan-Feb 2018), Atlanta, GA
- (Invited) UMBC Dept. of Physics Colloquium, Unveiling the neutrino sky with the IceCube observatory (Nov 29, 2017)
- SGSO White Paper meeting, CEA IrfU, Saclay, France (Nov 2017)
- (Invited) Center for Relativistic Astrophysics Seminar, Georgia Tech, Multi-messenger astrophysics with neutrinos and gamma rays (Nov 2017) Atlanta, GA
- (Invited) SACNAS 2017, Multi-messenger studies with the VERITAS and CTA gamma-ray observatories, (Oct 2017) Salt Lake City, UT
- IceCube Fall 2017 Collaboration meeting, Humboldt University, (Sept 29 - Oct 6), Berlin, Germany